It is common that someone who is dying will review their life. They will consider things for which they are proud, and they will seek forgiveness for what they regret. Sometimes that will mean a conversation with someone they have harmed during their life. That is what might be happening in the first reading today. There may be that regret for the sins committed. The current situation is the result of past actions.
But God is stronger than past sin. God wants what is best for us. And despite our sinfulness, God forgives whenever we seek mercy from God. These past few weeks have seemed like the end time. Hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, violence, wildfires. Not a bad time to consider a life review. Not a bad time to think about confession. While sin can be strong, God is stronger. Always.
- Mercy: Homily for Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Ligouri, August 1, 2017
- Mercy: Homily for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Homily for Saturday, March 22, 2014
- Don’t Miss the Lord: Homily for Wednesday, October 25, 2017
- Why believe in God?: Homily for Thursday, October 12, 2017