Today’s gospel refers to the need to be ready and awake for whenever the Lord will come, since his the exact time of his coming at the end of time is unknown to us. But this also refers to our day to day life, too. If we are not watchful, we can miss the arrival of God into our lives. We can miss those moments when God is present. We can have difficulty seeing how God is going to offer us eternal life, mercy or forgiveness.
It is for these reasons we seek out ways we know God is present. We go to Mass. We make sure that we go to confession on a regular basis. We pray. For in each of these ways, we deepen our friendship with Jesus. We become closer to him. And whenever he comes, we know we will be ready.
- Homily for Saturday, March 22, 2014
- Mercy: Homily for Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Ligouri, August 1, 2017
- Be prepared: Homily for Friday, September 1, 2017
- Confronting the Regret: Homily for Friday, October 13, 2017
- Homily for Thursday, July 17, 2014