Buddhism starts with a statement. “Life is hard.” Seems so obvious. But it is not just Buddhism that recognizes that life is hard. So too does Jesus. Consider the call in today’s gospel. “Cure the sick, raise the dead,
cleanse the lepers, drive out demons.” Not too hard, right? And yet, in human life is not illness, death, and evil among the things that keep us from God?
And so the message that God is with us means removing these things. God removes what separates us from his love. God gives life. So when God calls you to do something hard, God also gives grace.
- Patience and Suffering: Homily for Friday, January 27, 2017
- Homily for Wednesday, April 15, 2015
- Homily for Good Friday, April 18, 2014
- Persistence: Homily for Wednesday, August 30, 2017
- Homily for Friday, May 16, 2014