There are some people who really, really hate religion. It is not just that they disagree with this or that thing, but the very existence of religion makes their blood boil. And it is not just that they do not want any religion mentioned, they do not want anyone else to mention it either. It is about destroying any public reference to religion. Religion is simply something that is meant to be private. Period.
In today’s first reading, Saint John refers to such people as liars. Those who deny the existence of God are the ones who speak untruth. Often, if a simple statement is made to an atheist, namely, “Tell me about the God you do not believe in”, it often becomes clear that Christians do not believe in such a God either.
- Homily for Saturday, August 29, 2015
- Science: Homily for Memorial of Saint Paul Miki, February 6, 2017
- Homily for Wednesday, November 19, 2014
- Homily for Wednesday, December 19, 2012
- Where are you going?: Homily for Thursday, October 26, 2017