Which commandment is the greatest? That was yesterday’s question. Remember the answer. Not just the greatest commandment, but Jesus mentioned the second greatest commandment too. Today it is clear why Jesus felt compelled to say this. He discusses the difference between the knowledge of the law, which the Pharisees have, and the application of that knowledge, which they do not have.
Too often this is applied to mean Jesus did not care about the Law. That was not the case. Jesus says other times that he has come to fulfill the Law and the Prophets, not do away with them. So just what does he mean? He clarifies by his words and actions the purpose of the Law. The Law is always meant to bring a person closer to God. So to preach is not just about knowing the Law, but helping others to understand it, to apply it, to live it. And, it is about accompanying others when they fall, and seeking their forgiveness and understanding when we fall.
- Getting more than you bargained for: Homily for Sunday, October 29, 2017
- Getting More than you bargained for: Homily for Sunday, October 29, 2017
- Homily for Saturday, May 17, 2014
- Homily for Thursday, September 4, 2014
- Greatest: Homily for Friday, August 25, 2017