There has been a lot of controversy around Confederate War Memorials. Whenever a memorial is put up, the reason for the memorial is important. Hence, the controversy. The gospel today mentions those who put up memorials during Jesus’ day. Memorials to the prophets, whose message was not heard or believed. Prophets were killed. To erect memorials to them now is seen as hypocritical.
When we rely only on human effort, we run the risk of hypocritical memorials. All have sinned Saint Paul writes. All have fallen short of the glory of God. How can we ever put our trust in human effort alone? Truth is, we do not. We put our trust in the way, the truth and the life, the Lord Jesus Christ himself.
- Homily for Saturday, October 18, 2014
- Homily for Monday, April 27, 2015
- Homily for Saturday, October 11, 2014
- Daily Prayer for Sunday, July 16, 2017
- Where are you going?: Homily for Thursday, October 26, 2017