In today’s gospel, Jesus speaks of the sin of Tyre and Sidon. But just what was this sin? In chapter 5 of the book of the prophet Amos, the prophet mentions a list of things that will bring woe and destruction.
- Those who turn justice into wormwood.
- Those who cast righteousness to the ground.
- Those who tax the destitute.
- Those who exact from them levies of grain.
- Those who are oppressing the just.
- Those who are accepting bribes.
- Those who are turning away the needy at the gate.
While these are not all of the sins, they form the major theme of the preaching of Amos. Justice becomes bitter, righteousness gets trampled, and those who have turn to mistreat the poor. They do not want to hear about justice, and they abhor the person with integrity. They accept bribes and turn the needy away at the gate.