Isn’t it ironic that today’s reading features vengeance? The day after the Las Vegas shootings and we are face to face with the understandable human emotion. Vengeance. “Do you want us to call down fire from heaven to consume them?” Today is a day where it might just be a little easier to understand such an emotion.
But the response of Jesus tells us everything we need to know about vengeance. No. Jesus rebuked the disciples for their desire for vengeance. Despite how good vengeance might seem to feel at the time, it fails to satisfy. Why? Because it does not bring peace. Quite the opposite. We fall prey to the very thing we abhor. Lord, please send your peace into our hearts.
- Homily for Friday, September 4, 2015
- Homily for Tuesday, May 20, 2014
- It ain’t all candy and roses: Homily for Wednesday, November 29, 2017
- Homily for Sunday, March 30, 2014
- Homily for Tuesday, August 7, 2012